operations and undercurrents over * off paper

Saturday, August 27, 2011



We fed on ash and water throughout
most of winter and as both were in plenty
there was no need to supplement the meal
with a dust of wire shavings or yard grit
we would leak a syrup of condensed tears
over the porridge you set out un-tasted
perhaps tame deer might


I attacked in the frozen food aisle
when we both were starving openly
you sampled a macadamia nut and laughed
abundance is a relative term
how decadent I thought and went silent
watching you pick a suitable style
of ice for dinner caused me to snap
I hauled your body home

A bundle of  February leaves in pocket
sucking them as I walked my brown
dress heavy and dark at the hems
along brambles I'd fastened you to
my old wicker chair with waxed twine
the snowball I landed on your face
boasted a truly immaculate arch
which I ate up with my approach
flashing my whittled skin through
the fog of knowing you were dead

Run your fingers along this row of bone
you'd chanted
it tickles like filling up on
the whimpered noise
of too much aching

Cardinals worked dangerously close
to where I wrapped you 
in the chilled folds of my dress 
they gorged on thistle seeds until
their beaks broke
my palm figured the shape of your knee
I crouched beside you licking snow from
the seams of your jacket and tore
bits of cloth to stop my ears with
to stop my eyes

No comments: